Starcatchers is the only multi-arts organisation that pioneers the development of high quality performances and creative experiences for babies and young children aged 0-5 years and their grown ups in communities in Scotland.
Our mission is to inspire performances and creativity for babies, young children and their grown-ups in Scotland.
As a young, dynamic organisation, we strive to put the needs of babies, toddlers and young children at the core of everything we do, while engaging with the parents, carers, families, early years’ professionals and communities who nurture them.
Building on the legacy of our internationally recognised previous work and body of research, this mission is delivered through an innovative, in-depth programme of cross art-form, artist-led activity that is supported and informed by research and evaluation.
• To advocate for the role of arts and creativity with and for Early Years at local, national and international levels
• To research, develop and evaluate flexible models of working in order to respond to the needs of artists, audiences, partners
• To increase and allow opportunities for artists to experiment, create, research and reflect resulting in the production of innovative, high quality experiences for our audiences
• To continue the development of programmes of training for Early Years practitioners and artists
• To support the production and touring of work to inspire audiences across Scotland, the UK and internationally
In 2005 there was no provision for theatre and performance for children aged 0-3 in Scotland and limited provision for children aged 3-5. The work that Starcatchers has delivered since the pilot project in 2006 has transformed the landscape, not only of children’s theatre, but the approach and potential of arts and creativity for very young children in Scotland.
We have seen an ever-increasing demand for all of the work that Starcatchers delivers – from touring performances to residencies in nurseries to professional development for educators. The important part that professional artists can play in supporting early development is now recognised across all sectors and at Government levels. Much of this is a tribute to the work and determination of everyone involved in Starcatchers over the last 8 years.
• Engaged with more than 160,000 children, parents carers and professionals
• Employed 144 artists
• Delivered 9 residency projects in a range of community settings
• Pioneered programmes of skills development training for Early Years childcare students and professionals across Scotland that have engaged with 627 practitioners
• Created 30 productions, some which have toured to theatres and festivals across Scotland, the UK, Europe and North America
23 April 2015
Scotland’s little ones under 24 months will have the opportunity to engage with a tailor-made live theatre and...
19 March 2015
Leading Early Years arts organisation Starcatchers, is starting a Creative Revolution today in Edinburgh. 150...
11 February 2015
We've got two new projects on the horizon in various stages of development and we'd love to tell you about them....