Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Wee ones don’t always sit still with a book but we can still share stories! Choose a story you know well, gather objects in a bag or box (like teddies and bowls for Goldilocks). Reveal the objects one by one as you ‘act out’ the story.
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Don’t worry if your little one prefers to crawl or run around. Keep focussed on the story and trust they’re listening. Funny voices and faces can really help! Try different things and let your wee one come to you. Play with the objects together, repeating voices/faces they enjoy.
- a multi-sensory approach makes stories relevant and fun
- building vocabulary, narrative
- letting wee ones choose when to engage builds agency and confidence
- Go for a walk and chat through a story, adding in things you pass e.g. maybe Rapunzel could see streets and cars and dogs from her tower…
- bath time can be story time too!
Choose a story YOU love and find ways to enjoy exploring the story. The more fun you’re having, the more engaged your wee one will be.