Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Play music with a clear, strong beat and use your whole arm to make BIG sweeping lines in time to the music. A big roll of paper or a large cardboard box would be great for this, but you can also use chalk or a wet paintbrush on slabs.
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Think big! This idea encourages mark-making that uses big, fun movements instead of having to sit down ‘nicely’. Don’t try and control what your wee one does – the music, and your example alongside them, is enough inspiration – they’ll join in when they’re ready.
- Multi-sensory, links sound to visuals
- Makes mark-making fun and relevant for wee ones who don’t like sitting still
- Links big (gross motor) movements to small (fine motor) movements
- Try varying the music – soundtracks to movies can be a great way to introduce different moods and tempos
- Get the paper taped to the wall, or a fence, or even the underside of a table, for a different dance/paint experience
This idea is ALL about abstract act, so its a great way to get involved with painting or drawing without worrying about how ‘good’ your art is – it doesn’t have to look like anything!