Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Explore what your favourite story book doesn’t tell you! Wonder aloud what a character might sound like, or move like, or where they might sleep. How do they dance? Get those imaginations going!
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Verbal wee ones might like to chat things through first, but using movement gives all children, including those who are pre or nonverbal, a really powerful communication tool. Mirror then gradually exaggerate wee ones movements to let them guide you both physically and verbally.
- Exploring movement develops balance, spatial awareness and coordination
- Mirroring supports bonding and empathy
- Curiosity, open-mindedness and imagination
- Take your characters on the move! I wonder how Goldilocks gets home from nursery? Watch out for bears as you walk home!
- Try removing the words and tell your favourite story just by the faces you make and the way your body moves
Your wee one might make a lot of wild suggestions – ask questions rather than shutting down their ideas, or just embrace the creativity of bringing two contrasting ideas together.