Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Lay your wee one on a blanket or towel on a smooth floor and slide them gently across the floor. Chat to them as you move – maybe they’re taking a ride on Santa’s sleigh, or sliding across a frozen pond?
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Watch your wee ones reactions carefully. After the first big slide, stop and ask “Would you like to slide again?” – they might babble, or smile, or flap their arms for more. As the game gets faster, pause every now and then to check in – this builds dramatic tension and also shows you’re listening.
- Builds trust and communication
- Speech and language development
- Exploring movement helps develop balance
- Lots and lots of giggles!
- If there’s another adult around, gather the ends of the blanket and gently swing your wee one in a blanket hammock
- Give toddlers a tea towel to sit on and they can scoot themselves along
Wee ones don’t need lots of expensive toys or complicated craft set ups, what they love most is spending time with you. The more you tune into their expressions and reactions, the more their personalities will shine out – take time to see how amazing your wee one is.