Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
If you think it’ll be cold overnight, together fill a bucket or tray of water and leave it outside. In the morning when you’re both up, you can check in on it together.
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Some wee ones might like smashing the ice with their shoes or a stick – just make sure they’re wearing proper shoes and won’t fall too far! Other wee ones might prefer turning it into a mini ice-skating rink with small toys or natural materials. Follow their lead and let them decide what to do with the ice.
- Learning about change: one of the building blocks of STEM
- Seasons and weather
- Outdoors play and engaging with nature even on a chilly day!
- If you don’t have outdoors space, go hunting for frozen over puddles when you go for a walk
- Leave some small toys or natural materials in the water overnight for them to excavate
- Put some drops of food colouring into the water to make your ice different colours (see Ice Suprise for more ideas!)
If your wee one doesn’t like getting too cold, plan ahead. Make sure you’re both wrapped up warm before you go play in the cold and have some dry clothes ready for when you get back!