Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Did you know chalk makes stronger, brighter marks when wet? Outline a puddle with chalk and see how your wee one chooses to play. Choose a puddle near home so its a quick walk back if you end up soggy or a bit muddy.
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
There’s no wrong way to play! Your child might be interested in drawing with the chalk, splashing, floating the chalk in the puddle, or even mashing it up. Play beside your wee one – copy what they do, or do your own thing, and watch how their play develops.
- Exploring how materials can change
- Fine motor skills
- Science and experimentation
- Self expression is a great outlet for frustration
- Visit your puddle another day – what has changed? Are the chalk marks still there?
- Have a treasure hunt for different natural objects and build a puddle picture (see our Wee Inspiration “You’ve Been Framed” for ideas!)
If you get stressed by mess, plan the clean up in advance then let them go wild. Sensory play (AKA getting a bit mucky) is GREAT for brain
development, and exploring it outside with natural materials means less mess inside.