Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Next time you’re having a kitchen disco, say”Dancing cheek to cheek!” then dance with your cheek against theirs as you count to 8. Vary the shapes and moves you make by naming different body parts – “dancing knee to shoulder” anyone?
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Ask “which body parts we should dance with next?” and let your wee one decide – they may tell you with words, pointing or gesturing. Give lots of feedback: “that’s your head, shall we dance head to head?” naming body parts and showing you’re paying attention to what they’re telling you.
- Develops body confidence and sense of self
- Develops vocabulary and communication
- Numeracy, counting and rhythm
- Dancing together is a great way to burn offenergy AND boost your mood
- If there’s a few of you, you can work in pairs or try to link ALL your bodies together
- Count in twos, fives etc to help older siblings with different aspects of numeracy
- Pretend you’re stuck together – hilarious!
If you’re worried about the game getting a bit too rough, try playing some slower music and focus on gentle touch, giving LOTS of praise when your wee one is gentle.