Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
You can make dough with flour and water, cornflour and conditioner, or use pre-made dough. Spread it out like a pancake then crank up your favourite tunes – it’s time to make your fingers ‘dance’ in a dough disco!
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Ask “Would you like to dance with me?” and see if your wee one wants to join in. They can dance with their fingers, with pencils, straws – talk about the different marks in the dough, and see what happens to the marks and movements when the music goes faster or slower.
- Moving to rhythm helps language skills
- Mark-making and fine motor development
- Listening skills
- Great way to explore music and movement if your space is limited
- What happens when we drip some food colouring onto the surface of the dough?
- Add small toys to the disco, and chat about how they might feel as they dance
Mixing up the ingredients for the dough can be good fun in itself! But if you’re worried you might get stressed over getting the mixture right, have a “here’s one I made earlier” version made in advance.