Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Take close up photos of small toys in different parts of your home and see if your wee one can figure out where the photo was taken. Then go on a hunt to find the toys!
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Hand the camera or phone to your wee one and let them hide the toys and take photos. If they need to help with the technology, take the photos together and then ask another family member to guess where the toys are afterwards: in person, on a video call or through picture messaging.
- exploring perspective and scale
- planning, memory, impulse control
- once they’re confident taking photos, they can “hide and seek” while you have a cuppa
- Hold toys closer to the camera to try and make them look as tall as a person
- Video call guessing game – hold an object close to the camera and see who recognises it
- Can you take a series of photos and turn it into a story?
Digital technology means children CAN take loads of blurry photos before they strike gold, so don’t stress about the quality – creativity is all about experimenting and learning as you go.