Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
Start by pretending one part of your body – a foot, a hand, a shoulder – has a life of its own and is “dragging” you along. ‘Heeeeeeeeeelp! My foot is out of control!’
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
While still “struggling” to control your own body, ask your small people ‘Which part of your body is being silly?’ and see what they come up with. They might go wild, they might use much smaller movements – try and copy whatever they do.
- Fun way to go for a walk
- Exploring body movements supports brain development
- Explore maths by counting steps etc.
- Babies in slings and prams will enjoy variations as you move your body differently
- Guessing game version for bigger kids – which body part is leading now?
- Watch Monty Python’s Silly Walks as inspiration
You know your wee ones best – some will engage better with big, pantomime movement, others will enjoy starting small and seeing your foot do small, silly movements at random moments. It’s just about having fun together.