Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
This is great for helping wee ones understand story structure, using three phrases:
- BEGINNING: Who could we be?
- MIDDLE: I wonder what would happen if we all came together?
- END: To be continued…
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
Choosing props, costume or superpowers can help wee ones build their own character – once everyone has their character, wonder: “What would happen if we all came together?” and let the story develop. Children can struggle with endings so “to be continued” is a nice way to pause the play, knowing you can return to it.
- Vocabulary, pre-literacy skills
- Teamwork and co-operation
- Eases transitions when the play ends
- Have a “To Be Continued” box or pile for all your props, costumes etc. so wee ones know they can revisit the story
- Doodling or mark-making as you chat about your characters can help imaginative ideas flow
Wee ones love repetition, so don’t be surprised if they want to visit your characters again and again. You can add variations by adding a piece of material, a stick, a box – something “open ended” that can be used as a prop in lots of different ways.