Have some fun, save your sanity
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR UNDER 5s
THE BASIC IDEA
This is a really simple drama game that gets you both out of the habit of saying “no” all the time. Try making a “Yes, and!” story together: whatever the other person suggests, no matter how silly, you say “YES” then add your own idea.
OVER TO YOU, WEE ONE
You know your wee one best – they may prefer to make up the story using toys, or while drawing, or jumping about the garden. It doesn’t matter if the story makes sense – just be enthusiastic, embrace the silliness, and enjoy listening to how their imaginations work.
- Great for bonding, feeling like a team and making each other laugh
- Good opportunity to introduce new words and develop vocabulary
- Helps combat the cycle of constant “NO!”
- Pre-verbal wee ones can get in on the action! Pause, listen to them babble, then add your next “YES! And…” bit of the story
- Can you tell a story with your bodies? Copy their moves then add your own!
Young children have a LOT of restrictions in their lives, and they hear “NO” a lot, which can lead to frustration. Imaginative play is a great chance to listen to them, a safe space to let them lead and a great opportunity to build their sense of self.